Did you know that flaxseeds have potent anticancer effects? Researchers from the University of Toronto recently reviewed a number of studies on flaxseeds and flaxseed oil, as well as lignans found in flaxseed. Lignans are a class of phytoestrogens or plant estrogens that also act as antioxidants. Other foods also contain lignans - including sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds...Read Article
Address the unique health issues women face.
- Each and every stage of life comes with different gifts and challenges - and who doesn't want to stay trim, youthful looking and energized with a well-functioning cardiovascular system as we enter the ‘fabulous’ fifties? Our bodies need different forms of nutritional support as we age - and that’s easy to understand, because each phase of life brings its own...Read Article
- Vitamin H or coenzyme R, is a water-soluble B-vitamin (vitamin B7) necessary for cell growth, fatty acid production and fat and amino acid metabolism. Biotin may also help to maintain a steady blood sugar level, and it is often recommended as a dietary supplement for strengthening hair and nails. Biotin is particularly necessary for pregnant women, because insufficient dietary biotin can cause...Read Article
- According to new research, microwave imaging can be used to successfully monitor the progress of breast cancer treatment. Not only that, microwave tomography can distinguish between breast cancer, benign growths and normal tissue. Breast cancer affects many women and early detection usually means fast and effective treatment. X-ray mammography is currently the most effective imaging approach used by clinicians for...Read Article
- Hair loss can take a devastating toll on a person’s self-esteem. And while many causes can be traced to genetics and unbalanced hormone levels, research shows that stress is, more often than not, the culprit. A 1998 study from Psychology Report fund that women under high stress are 11 times more likely to experience hair loss. A 1994 study from...Read Article
- 3 natural health solutions that will help fight prematurely aging skin. Alcohol, cigarette smoking, sun exposure, stress…We know that all of these things can prematurely age your skin. But here’s a new one to add to the list: Sleep deprivation. Numerous studies have shown that sleep deprivation inhibits collagen (a primary skin component that keeps skin firm and maintains its...Read Article
- Growing up, I was always under the impression that heart disease was more of a man’s problem than it was for women - gender notions of stress in the workplace, alcohol abuse, and other stereotypes probably rounded off this presumption. But did you know that since 1991, more women die each year of heart disease than do men? In fact...Read Article