An irregular pH balance can be the underlying cause of many troublesome health issues. Most diseases cannot survive in an alkaline environment and parasites thrive in acidic conditions. Understanding our body's acidity is the first step to getting it in balance, simply by what we choose to eat.

What is pH?

The term pH means "potential of hydrogen" and it is used to measure the acidity of cells and other elements. The scale of acidity is measured from 0 to 14 and in the body the optimum is generally in the middle of that range. More than 90% of Americans have a pH balance that is acidic due to diet, dehydration, stress and other factors.

Seventy per cent of the body is made up of water and the fluid in each cell or organ tissue needs to be at a healthy pH level. Cells require a slightly alkaline environment of 7.0 to 7.5 and this can be measured by saliva which is a good indicator of the tissue pH.

Blood pH should remain between 7.34 and 7.38 and urine is acidic with a normal range from 6.2 to 6.8 in the morning. Blood pH is one of the last things to change when someone is sick so it is not a reliable measure of the body's actual acidity.

Related Article: Health Consequences Of An Unbalanced Ph

Symptoms of Irregular pH:

Weight problems
Irritable bowel syndrome
Cold sores
Muscular pain
Food allergies
Irregular heartbeats
Lack of concentration

As acid levels increase, our vital organs, adrenal glands and liver cannot function as they should, creating greater health issues. If our body tissue becomes too acidic, oxygen levels drop and cellular metabolism slows. In order to compensate, the body draws on alkaline minerals within tissues, bones and muscle in order to neutralize the pH balance.

How to Balance pH

If you feel you may have an irregular pH, the next step is to adjust your diet to include more fresh fruit, vegetables and water while reducing processed and packaged food. This helps the tissues, organs and cells to stay in alkaline balance.

A good guide is the 80/20 rule. You should aim for 80% of your diet to consist of whole foods such as nuts, soy products and non-starchy vegetables, lean meats, beans and whole grains. The remaining 20% should be acid-forming foods such as processed pasta, fast food, crackers, cookies, sugary sweets and cereals and many frozen commercially processed meals.

A thorough colon cleanse is a good start to balancing pH as it will eliminate toxins, parasites and acidic waste.