10 Things You Should Know To Have a Healthy Digestive System
10 Things You Should Know To Have a Healthy
- A healthy digestive system influences and is influenced by many different body systems.
- Believe it or not, your digestive tract is a critical part of your immune system.
- A full 75 percent of your immune system is in your gut, which means that all of health truly starts here.
- Intestinal bacteria influence your body’s ability to pull nutrients and energy from the foods you eat.
- Research is beginning to reveal that the types of flora in the intestines determine whether a person is lean or overweight.
- Every day, you are exposed to hundreds (if not thousands) of chemicals, many of which did not even exist 100 years ago.
- Bile is stored in the gallbladder and released into the intestine to aid in fat digestion and absorption.
- The mucous membranes that line your intestines are not only designed to absorb nutrients, but to reject poisonous substances and waste.
- All of the blood coming out of your intestinal tract passes through the liver before being carried to other parts of the body.
- When your intestines have been compromised, your liver acts as a backup defensive to keep toxic substances out of your blood
Did you know that as we age, our bodies start to change how they digest food? Many age-related factors affect your digestive system, including medications, a sedentary lifestyle and oral hygiene. These and other factors all take a toll on a healthy digestive system.
When these factors aren’t given the proper attention you may experience indigestion, constipation, diverticulitis, and ulcers.