10 Things You Should Know To Have a Healthy Digestive System
10 Things You Should Know To Have a Healthy
1. A healthy digestive system influences and is influenced by many different body systems.
2. Believe it or not, your digestive tract is a critical part of your immune system.
3. A full 75 percent of your immune system is in your gut, which means that all of health truly starts here.
4. Intestinal bacteria influence your body’s ability to pull nutrients and energy from the foods you eat.
5. Research is beginning to reveal that the types of flora in the intestines determine whether a person is lean or overweight.
6. Every day, you are exposed to hundreds (if not thousands) of chemicals, many of which did not even exist 100 years ago.
7. Bile is stored in the gallbladder and released into the intestine to aid in fat digestion and absorption.
8. The mucous membranes that line your intestines are not only designed to absorb nutrients, but to reject poisonous substances and waste.
9. All of the blood coming out of your intestinal tract passes through the liver before being carried to other parts of the body.
10. When your intestines have been compromised, your liver acts as a backup defensive to keep toxic substances out of your blood
Did you know that as we age, our bodies start to change how they digest food? Many age-related factors affect your digestive system, including medications, a sedentary lifestyle and oral hygiene. These and other factors all take a toll on a healthy digestive system.
When these factors aren’t given the proper attention you may experience indigestion, constipation, diverticulitis, and ulcers.