Healthy Recipes: Cashew Salmon with Apricot Couscous
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 scallions, sliced, greens and whites separated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 pound salmon fillet, preferably wild Pacific, skinned and cut into 4 portions
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted cashews
- Preheat grill to medium-high or position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
- Combine yogurt, scallion greens, lemon juice, cilantro, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add apricots, ginger, the scallion whites and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat, cover and let stand until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, rub salmon with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. If grilling, oil the grill rack. If broiling, coat a broiler pan with cooking spray. Grill or broil the salmon until browned and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Serve with the couscous, topped with the yogurt sauce and cashews.