Are Sprouts Superfoods?
What is a superfood?
According to Dr. Christine Horner, a superfood is any nutrient-dense food that contain high levels of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds and other ingredients proven to benefit health.
Given this definition of a superfood, do sprouts qualify?
Sprouts are indeed highly nutritious. Grown year round, they are an excellent source of protein and vitamin C.
Typically, sprouts are produced when a seed starts growing into a vegetable. Sprouts can grow from the seeds of vegetables, grains, legumes, buckwheat and beans.
They vary in texture and taste. Radish and onion sprouts are tangy, mung bean sprouts are hardy and often used in Asian cuisines, while alfalfa sprouts are more delicate and add texture and moistness to salads and sandwiches.
There are many good reasons to eat sprouts. As we age, our body's ability to produce enzymes declines dramatically. Sprouts are a concentrated source of living enzymes and other fragile micronutrients that are lost when foods are cooked or not picked fresh from your own garden.
Additionally, due to their high enzyme content, sprouts are also much easier to digest than the seed or bean from which they came.
All nutrients necessary for life are contained in seeds. Because sprouts are fresh and do not sit for days or weeks before being consumed, you can be sure that you’re getting optimum nutrition.
So are sproutssuperfoods?
Well, why don’t you add them to your daily diet in one of these creative and tasty ways and decide for yourself?
- Eat them fresh and uncooked in a sprout salad or add to tossed salads
- Use in coleslaw (cabbage, clover, radish)
- Try in wraps and roll-ups (alfalfa, sunflower, radish)
- Stir-fry with other vegetables (alfalfa, clover, radish, mung bean, lentil)
- Blend with vegetable juices (cabbage, mung bean, lentil)
- Stir into soups or stews when serving (mung bean, lentil)
- Top omelet or scrambled eggs (alfalfa, clover, radish)
- Sauté with onions (mung bean, clover, radish)
- Puree with dried peas or beans (mung bean, lentil)
- Add to baked beans (lentil)
Source: Are Sprouts Superfoods?