10 Supplements to Reduce Chronic Joint Pain
Integrative health guru Dr. Andrew Weil says, “The root of all degenerative diseases just may be inflammation."
Inflammation is the body’s natural response to something wrong. When damage threatens – whether from viruses, bacteria, pollutants, chemicals, allergens, injuries – white blood cells are sent to attack the offenders. After the injury or offender is taken care of, the normal body response is to back down. But an abnormal inflammation response continues attacking, and the result is chronic tissue destruction, damage from “free radicals,” and loss of healthy circulation.
There are many ways to reduce inflammation. One is medication prescribed by your doctor. Another is following a healthy diet. Exercise is important, and so is stress reduction.
You can also try the following natural supplements which have been shown to be effective as complementary and alternative therapies to help eliminate or reduce inflammation and chronic joint pain:
- Avocado Soy Unsaponifiables (ASU) helps rebuild damaged cartilage. ASU is a specially processed form of avocado and soy oils. Eating avocado and soy will not give the same results.
- Omega-3 oils. Fish oil supplements reduce inflammation.
- Vitamin D3 improves muscle strength and physical function in patients with knee osteoarthritis who are low in Vitamin D. Low levels of Vitamin D increase pain.
- Curcumin. Turmeric has strong anti-inflammatory effects and may benefit both osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Ginger reduces pain as well as ibuprofen and helps reduce inflammation.
- Green lipped mussel. In one study this supplement reduced pain in 80 percent of patients with knee and hip osteoarthritis.
- Boswellia is a natural anti-inflammatory and has action similar to NSAIDs without damaging the stomach and intestinal tract.
- Tart cherry. Eating 10-20 tart cherries a day reduces inflammation from gout and arthritis.
- MSM helps reduce pain and improve joint function.
- Vitamins A, B1, B5, B6 and E have been shown to bring natural pain relief, reduce inflammation and slow the progress of arthritis.
What is your favorite joint health supplement?